Community Badges - tell us what you think

Hello,
We are still deciding on the titles for badges and would love to hear your thoughts?

Can we have investors badges for every stage of investment we participate in?

3 Likes

Yes investor badges would be nice - quite common to have one for each round.

Customer/Early Customer badges might be nice too for people using the app/product?

2 Likes

May I also throw in App champion, MF platform champion?

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely, for investors we are thinking R1, R2 and Investor in both rounds (R1+R2).

1 Like

That’s great Kenny, Customer and Early Customer badge is brilliant.

1 Like

@Marie referral badges would be good as well. Maybe 3 or 4 levels like:
1 referral = Doing My Bit badge
5 referrals = All I Talk About At Parties is MarketsFlow badge
10 referrals = Referral King / Queen badge
25 referrals = Seriously I Could Start a Cult badge

Or something a bit snappier!

Referrals are obviously driving new business and we should try and gamify this as much as possible

4 Likes

Hi @JamesWhitt I really enjoyed reading the badge names for referrals you suggested and I think forum members/clients will like them too! Agreed, they need to be quirky and motivational.

3 Likes

@JamesWhitt - badge names are a great fun idea. I cant help thinking:
1 Referral = Anorak with no friends a thing of the past!

Maybe the names could be rewarded with a “MarketsFlow Cult” T-shirt for 25 Referrals?

3 Likes

@Curious1 I like it! Maybe we should get automatic entry to the cult for suggesting it!

2 Likes

JamesWhitt - that’s a brilliant idea as I have definitely not got 25 friends!

3 Likes

Same! Maybe between us… Although then we’d need a T-shirt time share arrangement

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: 25 referrals earns you that.

2 Likes

You can have the sleeves on weekdays and he has the body on weekdays then rinse and repeat

2 Likes

It sounds easier to just make some more friends!

2 Likes

JamesWhitt

That’s a great solution. And, although T-shirt Time-share seems to work for the guys. I’m not quite as confident on this if the gals are presented with just sleeves for weekdays!

It might be the spark for an office T-shirt parts auction! Maybe Marie should have the casting vote!

3 Likes

Joking aside, I think the suggestion from @Curious1 for stash or merchandise is a good idea. I know sometimes it can come across as a bit gimmicky, but some items can be quite useful marketing tools. Personally I’m not sure I would look up MarketsFlow if I saw someone walking down the street wearing a hoodie or T-shirt with the MF branding on it. But if I saw someone drinking out of a MF mug in the office I’d have a quick Google when I got back to my desk (especially if it was Friday afternoon!)

2 Likes

:blush: I think this thread is very versatile! Thanks for the giveaway ideas – maybe not going to use the T-shirt time-sharing one for the moment! But mugs, sports bottles, reusable coffee cups etc are a very good giveaway as long as they look attractive. Thanks everyone and @JamesWhitt ! :+1:

Some more badge ideas I wanted to share with you are:
Badges for involvement – contribution:
L1: Just got here and I love it
L2: Already making my mark
L3: I’m chatty and you know it
L4: Having my say like a boss

Badges for answering other people’s questions:
L1: Let me help you
L2: I see a question
L3: I’ve got the answers

And please feel free to jazz the levels up!! Any quirky ideas welcome :raised_hands:

3 Likes

The most common form I see with startups is badges for each investor round, eg R1 investor, etc. Plus a “Founding Member” badge for the early adopters, or those people that invest large sums in later investment rounds.

I like the idea of badges based on amount of referrals or helpfulness on the forum, but I wouldn’t do too many levels for each as it will quickly get confusing for people. For referrals you can just do a level when someone hits a certain number of referrals, for forum helpfulness you may be better off looking at forum stats and manually picking out people who contribute a lot, have a chat with them and give them a “forum champion” role.

Some merchandise always works, many other startups also use it for investment rounds. Chip, for example, gave socks to everyone who invested above a relatively small amount. People got quite excited about it. Socks aren’t very visible, a shirt or hoodie may be more interesting.

3 Likes

Personally I like these @Marie! And looking at the available badges, there are already some user levels built into the system, so they should be fairly easy to change over.

Guaging whether someone has answered a question may be a bit tricky to code unless you have some sort of “Ask a question” section with buttons coded for any replies to determine if it answered the question or not (like Quora). But I like the idea of encouraging users to help each other out and @Martijn suggestion regarding forum champions (and potentially a secondary role as moderators) would probably do the trick.

With merchandise, what’s the view on train station giveaways and conversion rates? Something like reusable bottles or travel coffee cups would work well I think. Whenever a company is giving out something free at London Bridge or Cannon Street, it usually goes down pretty well with commuters.

3 Likes